The FME board is committed to inclusive event experiences, respectful of all participants, and free of discrimination, harassment, bullying, or retaliation. An inclusive and respectful atmosphere is vital to free expression and the open exchange of ideas, serving the main purpose of the events.
We expect all participants in FME events to:
- Exercise consideration and respect in their speech and actions;
- Refrain from demeaning, discriminatory, or harassing behavior and speech;
- Be mindful of their surroundings and of their fellow participants;
- Alert any person of the senior organizing team (local organizers, PC chair, steering committee members, and so on) if they notice a dangerous situation, someone in distress, or violations of this policy, even if they seem inconsequential.
Unacceptable at any FME event is:
- Abuse: Any action directed at an individual that (a) interferes with that person’s participation; or (b) causes that person to fear for their personal safety. This includes threats, intimidation, bullying, stalking, or other types of abuse.
- Discriminatory Harassment: Any conduct that discriminates or denigrates an individual on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, citizenship, nationality, age, sexual or gender identity, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law in the location where the event takes place.
- Sexual Harassment: Unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, or other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature. Examples include (but are not limited to):
- unwelcome advances or propositions, particularly when one individual has authority over the other;
- inappropriate touching of an individual’s body;
- degrading or humiliating comments about an individual’s appearance;
- using an activity-related communication channel to display or distribute sexually explicit images or messages.
Unacceptable behaviors include but are not limited to:
- intimidating, harassing, abusive, discriminatory, derogatory or demeaning speech or actions;
- offensive, degrading, humiliating, harmful, or prejudicial verbal or written comments or visual images related to gender, sexual orientation, race, religion, disability, age, appearance, or other personal characteristics;
- unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, or other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature;
- inappropriate or gratuitous use of nudity, sexual images, or stereotyped images including using an activity-related communication channel to display or distribute sexually explicit or otherwise offensive or discriminatory images or messages;
- deliberate intimidation, stalking or following;
- harassing photography or recording;
- sustained disruption of talks or other events;
- unwelcome and uninvited attention or contact;
- physical assault (including unwelcome touch or groping);
- real or implied threat of physical harm;
- real or implied threat of professional or financial damage or harm.
Harassment committed in a joking manner or disguised as a compliment still constitutes unacceptable behavior.
Conference participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the conference without a refund at the conference organizers' discretion.
What to do if you are a Victim of or Witness Unacceptable Behaviour
If you are subjected to unacceptable behavior or observe that someone else is being subjected to unacceptable behavior, please approach the local iFM 2023 organizing team who will provide assistance.
We will protect confidentiality to every possible extent. Confidential information will only be circulated to the minimum number of people if necessary.
You may also report incidents directly to the confidential counselors for unacceptable behavior of Leiden University between 09.00 and 17.00 during the conference days: